I couldn’t have enjoyed my last day of 2012 more. I was on a personal retreat from the rest of the planet with no cell phone, no internet, and nobody else around for miles. I invested three nights and two days in myself, and accomplished a LOT.
- I worked on my memoir for the majority of the day, and am now thousands of words closer to a complete first draft (my editor will be so pleased)
- I finished reading the final 2/3 of Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- I pondered and thoughtfully wrote out my intentions for 2013
- I savored two steaming bowls of borscht
- I breathed deeply
- I reflected on all that has happened in 2012 and how I’ve grown from every experience
- I watched Sleepless in Seattle
During the movie’s New Year’s Eve scene I happened to glance at the clock, and realized I was crossing into my own new year at exactly the same time as Tom Hanks’ character is shaking his son, Jonah, awake to see the ball drop. Coincidence? Absolutely.
Here were a few of my observations as I watched this fabulous movie all over again.
- Nora Ephron knew how to make movie magic.
- Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are dynamic together. And separately.
- There were a LOT of sweat pants worn during this movie by a vast number of characters.
- Rosie O’Donnell is hilarious and I want her to come to dinner at my house.
- I’m so glad technology has advanced beyond 1993.
- As cool as it is to cut off apple peels in one long strip, does everyone now know you should eat them instead?
- Is it true that it’s easier for a woman to get killed by a terrorist than married after the age of 40?
- I need to watch
someall Cary Grant movies again.
- Taking risks doesn’t mean you’re stupid or crazy or desperate; it means you believe in yourself.
As a tribute to my commitments for 2013, this post stands as sentinel: I’ll be writing much more frequently, and hope you’ll keep me accountable. I spent a sleepless night, myself, after the movie ended; I was too excited for 2013 to get going. It’s going to be a fantastic year and I’m delighted to share portions of the journey together with you.
What goals, intentions or commitments have you made to yourself for the new year? Did you write them down?If you like this post, you can subscribe to receive regular doses of encouragement and inspiration to help you on your way: